Gorodetsky Theodore Monastery
The foundation of a monastic cell, as well as Gorodets itself, is attributed to Prince Yury Dolgoruky. The year 1154 is called an estimated date of foundation. According to the legend, a miraculous icon of the Holy Mother Hodogitria being stored in a chapel on the east side of Gorodets outside the shaft pointed the place for the monastery foundation. It was believed that the icon was painted by St. Luke. Orthodox honored this icon especially and wanted to move it to a new temple in name of Archangel Michael. But it resulted to be impossible to raise the icon as it was held in place miraculously. Then, at the dictation of Prince Dolgoruky, the monastic cell was built on the place of the chapel. On November 14, 1263, Alexander Nevsky died in the monastery after having taken ordination and schema in Gorodets. At the beginning of the XVII century the Theodore Icon of the Mother of God became the patron shrine of the Royal House of Romanov. It was this icon that great nun Mary used to bless her son Mikhail Fedorovich, the future founder of the Romanov dynasty, to reign in 1613. Today, in the monastery there is a revered list of the Theodore Icon of the Mother of God. The main temple of the monastery is the Cathedral of St. Theodore that was repeatedly rebuilt in stone. The five-domed Cathedral built in 1765 was closed in 1927 and destroyed a few years later. In 2009 it was restored in the original form.